Monday 19 June 2017


_ House and Home _


Is there a difference between a house and home? Can I as ' the architect' influence the difference one way or another? 


According to Oxford Dictionary:
house (n):  

building for human habitation, especially one that consists of a ground floor and one or more upper storeys.


home (n): 

a The place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household

b : The family or social unit occupying a permanent residence.

Not much help there!

A house is a type of building where you put your stuff, and home is where you live your life.

As an architect who designs houses, modern houses in particular, I don’t think that I can make your house be a home but I do think I can make it a lot harder for your house to become a home.

For me, home is about creating memories and shared experiences with your family. These things can happen in a house, an auto rickshaw, a restaurant – on a bench in park – wherever you happen to be. I don’t think it has to do with your “stuff” even though your belongings do contribute to a space being yours. 

Most 'modern' houses photographs dont show any signs of "stuff". Some evidence of human beings living in that space. Stuff which has meaning to the owner and why he/ she cares enough to move it around with them from space to space.. This stuff has emotional connection. Where is all the stuff in a modern house? So does this mean you have to have stuff in order to have a home? 

I know that people who have things going on don’t maintain a perfect photo ready home. Too often modern houses appear sterile, inhuman – certainly not child friendly – and devoid of personality despite the fact that modern homes were originally supposed to make life easier to live.

I think I have convinced myself that an architect can’t create a home, that is a job is for the occupants to take on and complete. As for the consideration that a modern house is more difficult to be a modern home, I will need to think on that a little longer … 

No comments:

Post a Comment

_ mind the gap_  There's a gap between where we are and where we want to be. Many gaps, in fact, but imagine just one of them. ...